Reading & Phonics Information
Daily reading opportunities are planned within continuous provision using the cornerstones curriculum planning and class routines include discrete time for reading and phonics sessions daily for a length of time appropriate to that child.
· To provide pupils with a clear understanding of how the alphabet works for reading and spelling;
· To enable our pupils to become fluent and confident readers with a strong phonological awareness.
· To develop pupils’ sight vocabulary to aid fluent reading.
· To provide opportunities for repetition and consolidation.
· To develop a love of reading.
Nursery (Phase 1):
Pupils will be taught to:
• Develop speaking and listening skills;
• Developing language and vocabulary;
• Explore environmental sounds, instrumental sound, body percussion, rhythm and rhyme, alliteration, voice sounds, oral blending and segmenting;
• Sing songs and related actions.
• Develop curiosity about letters and sounds.
We teach phonics using ‘Letters and Sounds.’
A copy of which can be downloaded below:
All classes receive daily phonics input starting with phase 1 and differentiated to their ability
Each phonics session will follow the same structure.